Friday, August 13, 2010

10 Ways You Know You're in the Country

I am a city girl. I am a city girl, I am a city girl, I am a city girl. No, this is not a Bart Simpson-inspired punishment. This is my constant mantra with all the new fascinating things I've discovered. A constant excuse for my habitual stupidity and amazement.

I was thinking about it the other day and realized that my life has changed A LOT in the last 2 months, so those who live in the cow pasture-next to the high tech park as country world of my youth, here are the top ten ways you know you live far from civilization.

10) The nearest grocery store is 40 miles away. Which means when you need gas, you're really at about 1/8 of a tank. And getting ice cream involves a cooler.

9) Decent cell phone reception occasionally involves walking out into a field and standing next to a deer/cow.

8)The strawberries you've planted because the grocery store in 40 miles away have all been eaten by said deer or cow.

7) You pass more tractors on the way to work than cars. Seriously, 5 tractors, 2 cars. It was a busy morning on the farm. Mint harvest and all. Made me crave Mojitos all day.

6) Your favorite roommates are the spiders, because at least they kill the bugs.

5) The 4 inch bug that the spiders don't kill is either on your foot in the morning or comes crawling out of your bath towel.

At which point you go running for your camera so when one lands on your face and you wake up the roommate who is not of the 8-legged variety in the middle of the night, you can show him you're not a totally sissy girl. It's happened more than once. No wonder he doesn't like me.

4) The biggest event of the year is the fire man's bbq and baseball game. Which eireminds me, I need to sweet talk them into giving me the recipe to their baked beans. They say its a trade secret, but maybe their dog will tell?

3) The talk in the bar is of water rights.

2) The only restaurant in town is frequently closed on Saturday nights. Especially when the fireman's BBQ is going on.

1) 15,000 people without power cover 50 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment